Friday, August 26, 2011

Homemade Breakfast

I have started making my own yogurt. My kids eat SO much yogurt. The girls will easily each eat 2 cups with granola in the morning.  Russell is not far behind, and Bear, well he still just makes a mess of it, but it won't be long before he's eating a ton too!  I make the yogurt with milk and just 2-3 Tbs of already prepared yogurt (either store bought plain, or my own homemade from the previous batch).  It gets pitched (mixed) with the milk after it is brought to 185 degrees and then cooled to 110.  After mixing it gets covered with the lid, covered with a dish towel, put on a heating pad (on medium) and let to sit for 7 hours.  Then.....TADA!

YOGURT!

DSCN0655DSCN0656 Yes, at this point it is crazy tangy.  No one (at least in my family) will eat it like this.  So, we add a nice big dollop of “Kirkland Signature Organic Strawberry Preserves” and then suddenly it’s a nice, sweet, creamy treat.  If I really want to indulge them I take a few frozen strawberries, defrost a bit, chop and use that to top the yogurt.  

Cost Breakdown:

1/2 Gallon Organic Whole Milk:  $3.29
2-3 Tbs. Plain Yogurt:               $0.59
                                              -------
Total Cost…………………………….$3.88 for 64 ounces of organic yogurt

Next I want to make homemade granola to make the whole breakfast homemade!  Our good friend Frank, has this awesome recipe that is next on my agenda.

http://goingforseconds.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/make-your-own-granola/

No comments: